Over the Gate Forum Index Over the Gate
Join in for a friendly chat over the gate about home and country matters. (Nominated Charity The British Heart Foundation)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  {Home Page} Home Page  Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nearly there.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Over the Gate Forum Index -> The Feather Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

bodger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Nearly there.  Reply with quote

Yesterday I started collecting eggs for my first foray into hatching eggs for the best part of two years. I've already got eleven eggs saved to go into my Brinsea 20, so that means just another nine eggs to go.
So far I have nine Anconas and just the two Light Sussex. Another couple of days and I should be putting the eggs in.
horace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff , wish I had the space to get more involved . Years ago when I lived in the country I did loads of hatching under broody's  , fattened a few pigs , reared orphan lambs on my goats , just wish I could turn the clock back .
bodger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making the most of having a smallholding while I can.
Mo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long can you save eggs until you start the hatching process and where do you keep them (please don't tell me you keep them down your trousers)
bodger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think I am? Some kind of pervert? You've been living 'up north' for too long  

I keep the eggs in a coolish stone outhouse but basically the eggs need to be kept somewhere, where they get neither too hot or too cold.

When it comes to how long I will keep hatching eggs before sitting them, I like to have them as fresh as possible but if you look to nature, it may take a hen up to and over three weeks to lay a full clutch, yet I've regularly had a hen come out of a hedge bottom and present me with twelve or more healthy chicks.

When I used to show my chickens and I wanted eggs from a particular pairing, I'd stored eggs for over two weeks and nearly always got good hatching results from quite old eggs.

This time it's only going to take me about three days to get enough to fill the incubator but what I've done, is to put a pencil cross on one side of the egg and I've been turning them by hand once a day.
Mo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently eyeing the eggs on my worktop and wondering how many are fertile now... might have a play at candling later, just to see how many are, then who knows?

Your comment about the crosses reminds me of a family friend.
Many, many moons ago his dad incubated by turning by hand. He, as the young son, was one day given the task of marking the crosses. The first time he did this dad asked why he had gone to the bother of marking the other end with a O

bodger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say candling the eggs, are these eggs that have already been in an incubator for some time? If they aren't, then candling wont show up fertile or non fertile eggs.
Mo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:
When you say candling the eggs, are these eggs that have already been in an incubator for some time? If they aren't, then candling wont show up fertile or non fertile eggs.

Ah! Ooops!
bodger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually candle after the eggs have been incubated for about a week. You can do it earlier but I've never been that confident.

I've got space for two more eggs, which I'll get today before putting them into the incubator. So far, I've only got three LS eggs in the kitty, so I'll leave it as long as possible to see if I can get a few more today.
bodger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I set 24 eggs in the incubator. Unfortunately only three of the eggs were from my Light Sussex. I don't know what's been wrong with my stock birds for the last few days. Maybe they got stage fright.
This means that I have 21 Ancona eggs on the go. but not to worry, I'll be taking steps to ensure that my next batch should have a full batch of LS.
bodger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LS laid two eggs this morning, so I whipped two Ancona eggs out and slipped them in. Better a bit late than never.
nigelhughes7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I have been on here I have been hatching since early January I keep eggs no more than 10 days and try and breed around 200 large a year this years proving difficult because some hens just haven't laid an egg I have 300 eggs in the incubator at the moment and can at full capacity hatch about 600 in one go
Dave C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some big numbers there mate

What breeds are you hatching ?
nigelhughes7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep only Game poultry , asil shamo Brazillian shamo some oxfords (if they lay) large carlisles , but I also hatch for 2 or friends helps with the electricity they breed some interesting birds all show stuff not the breeds that should interest the smallholder because the birds will never supply the egg consumption but as for meat that's a different matter some I breed will reach 12 lbs plus live weight after 8 months yes I know slow growing but there we go The sumo wretlers eat them look how big they are

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Over the Gate Forum Index -> The Feather Room All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: