Archive for Over the Gate Join in for a friendly chat over the gate about home and country matters. (Nominated Charity The British Heart Foundation)
 


       Over the Gate Forum Index -> Back in My Day.......
bodger

That was very short lived.

On this day in 1965 prescriptions on the NHS became free of charge and remained so until June 1968.
That was short lived but one of the many advantages of living here in Wales is that unlike the rest of the UK, the Welsh Assembly have made prescriptions free here.
bigphil

Scotland were heading that way when I left.
WhatCameFirst

I'm the only person in my house who has to pay for prescriptions, OH being over 65 and DD a student.  And it's iniquitous!  £7 or something, maybe £7.20 for each item.  
sod

WE pay for them here unless you need over X number per year then they are free from then on also if you are on a community card then only pay $3.00 per item max, same with doctors here you pay full but if on card less than half
12Bore

I pay, but my GP gives me 3 months supply at a time (I don't think he's allowed to give more), but previous GP would only give 2 months.
Mrs 12Bore buys an annual pre-pay cert, it saves us a fair few quid. If you live in England and need regular/several meds it's worth checking out
lizzie44

Free for me!! The only plus side to having an underactive thyroid! Love Lizzie
Polly

Thank the Lord my DH's are free - his repeat prescription request form has at least 3 pages, depending on what size type they print it out on!  
lottie

There is no such thing as a free lunch, if we don't pay upfront we just pay more through taxes or if we live in Wales have to do without other aspects of health care because a substantial part of the budget is taken up by free prescriptions.
debbie

they CAN give more than 3 months.  my HRT (artificial - not made from pregnant mares urine intesively farmed in the states - and yes ladies there is a choice just insist and stop this cruel method of collection) is 2 hormones in each month so charges £14.40 per pack (3 months in a pack) but as I will be on them for at least 6 years doctor - after a bit of "persausion" agreed to percribe 6 months each time thereby cutting my cost in half.
Jonty

WhatCameFirst wrote:
I'm the only person in my house who has to pay for prescriptions, OH being over 65 and DD a student. †And it's iniquitous! †£7 or something, maybe £7.20 for each item. †


Sue,

become either:

1) Pregnant

or

2) Epileptic

Jobs a goodun - no more prescription charges  
WhatCameFirst

[quote="Jonty:256133Sue,

become either:

1) Pregnant

or

2) Epileptic

Jobs a goodun - no more prescription charges †[/quote]

   It's too late for (1), as for (2) I do throw the odd hissy fit, does that count?
Mo

debbie wrote:
they CAN give more than 3 months. †my HRT (artificial - not made from pregnant mares urine intesively farmed in the states - and yes ladies there is a choice just insist and stop this cruel method of collection) is 2 hormones in each month so charges £14.40 per pack (3 months in a pack) but as I will be on them for at least 6 years doctor - after a bit of "persausion" agreed to percribe 6 months each time thereby cutting my cost in half.


I can imagine the 'persuasion' from someone being prescribed HRT  

Good point about the choice  
Jonty

WhatCameFirst wrote:
[quote="Jonty:256133Sue,

become either:

1) Pregnant

or

2) Epileptic

Jobs a goodun - no more prescription charges †


†It's too late for (1), as for (2) I do throw the odd hissy fit, does that count?[/quote]

Absolutely Sue!  Always glad to be of assistance  

       Over the Gate Forum Index -> Back in My Day.......
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum