Archive for Over the Gate Join in for a friendly chat over the gate about home and country matters. (Nominated Charity The British Heart Foundation)
 


       Over the Gate Forum Index -> Recipes
gerryindevon

mutton "ham"

Has anyone made one. I found recipes online, mostly cloned from one particular site. I have one in one of my books and it gives much more salt than ones I read online and said no sugar or sweetener. Grateful for any advice, thanks.
debbie

I have Gerry.  A mutton wet cured ham.  got to be honest and sayit wasn't that good - I didn't like it anyway - but the venison one I made at the same time was stunning.  I understand air dried goat ham is pretty special too - will have to wait till this time next year to try that though.
gerryindevon

debbie wrote:
I have Gerry.  A mutton wet cured ham.  got to be honest and sayit wasn't that good - I didn't like it anyway - but the venison one I made at the same time was stunning.  I understand air dried goat ham is pretty special too - will have to wait till this time next year to try that though.

Thanks for info, Debbie. Maybe I'll shove it back in the freezer. Do you remember how you did it, if you're not too busy?
debbie

I used my normal cure of 500g fine sea salt to 4 ltrs of water with two tablesppons of sugar.  I added a few bruised junpier berries and some scrunched up fresh bay leaves.  Left the mutton in there for 2 weeks - the venison was a boneless loin so only left it for a week.  After rinsing I hot smoked the venison to medium rare (started off with a couple of hours coldsmoking then gradually increased the tempreture) and had it thinly sliced.  The mutton I baked.

I would be interested to hear how it turns out if you decide to have a go.  I will try an air dried ham of kid next year and see how that turns out - one of our goats has just gone to the billy so I will need to wait nearly a year before I can cure it - we intend to slaughter at around 6 months I think.
gerryindevon

debbie wrote:
I used my normal cure of 500g fine sea salt to 4 ltrs of water with two tablesppons of sugar.  I added a few bruised junpier berries and some scrunched up fresh bay leaves.  Left the mutton in there for 2 weeks - the venison was a boneless loin so only left it for a week.  After rinsing I hot smoked the venison to medium rare (started off with a couple of hours coldsmoking then gradually increased the tempreture) and had it thinly sliced.  The mutton I baked.

Debbie, thank you so much for details. Still thinking about it but will let you know the result if I do it. I've dry cured gammon and duck, they were fine. My mutton leg is 5lb, just under.
debbie

Gerry, did you dry cure them and then air dry to be eaten raw?  Thats what I want to do with a kid leg.  Or will you by dry curing as I do with bacon and then cook?  Charcuterie is one of my passions so details always greatefully devoured
Jonty

Gerry,

google 'Reestit Mutton Recipe' mutton ham is a shetland speciality - IIRC possibly coming across from scandinavia.

You should find plenty of recipes.  I found out about it whhen I was looking into making some lamb baacon (geddit??) a while back.
Jonty

debbie wrote:
Gerry, did you dry cure them and then air dry to be eaten raw?  Thats what I want to do with a kid leg.  Or will you by dry curing as I do with bacon and then cook?  Charcuterie is one of my passions so details always greatefully devoured


Debbie,  take a look at this site from a guyt called Jason Molinari.  He's a bit of a curing superstar and I know he's definately got a kid proscuttio recipe on there.  Funnily enoiugh he's from the same neck of tye woods as Butterbean, there must be something in the Georgia water that makes great curers.

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/
gerryindevon

Jonty wrote:
Gerry,

google 'Reestit Mutton Recipe' mutton ham is a shetland speciality - IIRC possibly coming across from scandinavia.

You should find plenty of recipes.  I found out about it whhen I was looking into making some lamb baacon (geddit??) a while back.

Thanks, Jonty. reesit mutton recipes was among my searches, along with mutton hams etc.
Woodsmoke

Jonty wrote:
lamb baacon (geddit??)


Oh dear................................
gerryindevon

Woodsmoke wrote:
Jonty wrote:
lamb baacon (geddit??)


Oh dear................................

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/bacon-20/
This one sounds good. Just finished eating most recent pork belly bacon so will start this soon.
debbie

Gerry, come the warmer weather, anytime you fancy a trip up to exmoor we'd love to meet you and show you around our menagerie and maybe slow roast some pork to share whilst we swap a few recipes.
gerryindevon

debbie wrote:
Gerry, come the warmer weather, anytime you fancy a trip up to exmoor we'd love to meet you and show you around our menagerie and maybe slow roast some pork to share whilst we swap a few recipes.

Debbie, we'd love to and were talking about it only last night. We still have the solitary hen who refuses to die a natural death. Must empty the freezer a bit before seeing you so we can stock up from your farm.
Just started the mutton ham; am writing everything down and will let you know the result and (hopefully) bring some. See you when the weather's nice and the days are longer. Thanks for remembering.

       Over the Gate Forum Index -> Recipes
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum