Archive for Over the Gate Join in for a friendly chat over the gate about home and country matters. (Nominated Charity The British Heart Foundation)
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       Over the Gate Forum Index -> The Flowerpot
kaz

Likes and dislikes

I like cyclamen





and I have always liked geraniums for summer colour but for some reason I can't stand begonias  I have seen loads of baskets and tubs with them in this year, usually in wishy-washy colours, and I wonder why people even plant them
Pilsbury

My rule of thumb is if I cant eat it or use it then I dont grow it, my exception is scented leaf Pelagonium because my mum got into them before she died and I still have 4 of her original plants here 15 years on, I reguarly take cuttings in the autaum and try and give them to as many people as I can cos so long as there is one of her plants alive there is a bit of her in the world, sad I know but it helps my every year
chickenstu

I hate Nasturtiums with a passion (spelling) and small french marigolds
agapanthus

Pilsbury wrote:
My rule of thumb is if I cant eat it or use it then I dont grow it, my exception is scented leaf Pelagonium because my mum got into them before she died and I still have 4 of her original plants here 15 years on, I reguarly take cuttings in the autaum and try and give them to as many people as I can cos so long as there is one of her plants alive there is a bit of her in the world, sad I know but it helps my every year


What a lovely thing to do Pils!!!!!!    
Bazzer

Fuschia's and Roses, love 'em. My pride and joy is a Tamarix.
No real dislikes just a few that I can just take or leave.
Christine

It's not a proper year with no fushia and life stops without aquilegia every year.  Fushia at the front door and aquilegia under the fruit trees.

Other than that - it all depends on what takes me fancy every year to fill in at the front door. Nasturtiums are edible you know and good for the bees.
chickenstu

but they smell funny, look awful, and get riddled with caterpillars.

The wife likes them- so we have them everywhere- thats why I hate them so.
LadySlip

My dad has grown shown and hybridised fuchsias for over thirty years!!

He's just attended Harrogate Autumn Show for the first time in a few years due to floods ruining his stock etc and for the first time in ten years took best in show with a 3/4 standard hybrid of his own  which i think currently bears my youngest sisters name

He was well chuffed
bodger

I can't spell or stand hydrangers.
chickenstu

LadySlip wrote:
My dad has grown shown and hybridised fuchsias for over thirty years!!

He's just attended Harrogate Autumn Show for the first time in a few years due to floods ruining his stock etc and for the first time in ten years took best in show with a 3/4 standard hybrid of his own  which i think currently bears my youngest sisters name

He was well chuffed


thats brilliant
Bazzer

Well done to Dadslip.  
LadySlip

Thanks Guys
psycho

I LOVE foxglove, delphinium and flax.

Can not stand begonias, impatiens, or geraniums.

My Sweet William did beautifully this year. My garden mums have just gone crazy. I get bored with petunias....I think it's because everybody seems to have them. I wanted to plant some iris in with my flax this fall, but I think I missed the boat on that one. Maybe not, but I better get them in soon if I didn't...oh....wait...haven't bought them yet.....ugh.
Jim

Pinks , Chyrsanths , Auriculas are my thing but Sweet peas are my favourite
Christine

psycho wrote:

Can not stand begonias, impatiens, or geraniums.


Totally agree with the first two - don't mind geraniums very red though.
psycho

Jim wrote:
Pinks , Chyrsanths , Auriculas are my thing but Sweet peas are my favourite


Mmmmm...forgot about sweet peas.....I've nowhere to put them here yet....but I once had them and loved them. LOVE the scent!

       Over the Gate Forum Index -> The Flowerpot
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum