Archive for Over the Gate Join in for a friendly chat over the gate about home and country matters. (Nominated Charity The British Heart Foundation)
 


       Over the Gate Forum Index -> Making Ends Meet
debbie

Boiling the kettle

it seems that we are now saving around 300 units of electricity a quarter by NOT having an electric kettle!  Its something nearly all of us have but how many times do you actually boil the full kettle before you get around to making that cup of tea.  We found it was a lot - somtimes the kettle would be reboiled 3 or 4 times in half an hour before we would get round to it - you know the thing - put the kettle on leave the room remember ten minutes later and go and reboil etc.  well we swapped to a stove kettle with the loudest most annoying high pitched whistle you have ever heard.  Its boiled on the hob and trust m no matter where you are in the house or yard you KNOW when that kettle has come to the boil!  We break our necks to get to it before it really starts screaching.
escape

We also have a stove kettle and have also seen a huge saving.
I agree the whistle does grab your attention and like you dive towards the kitchen to stop it (and make that cuppa)  

In fact we have seen such a huge change we brought OH Mum one for Christmas, and she now does the tea dash
Eschra

We have the best of both worlds. We have one of the Tefal EcoKettles that draw the water from the reservoir and heat the water as it's drawn up through heated pipe and pumped into the cup, so you only heat the water you're actually going to drink. It uses a fraction of the kWph usage of a full kettle

But in winter we have the whistling hob kettle we use over the stoves/fire when camping to boil a full kettle for hot water bottles etc.

And yes the whistle is piercing!!  
debbie

yes, we do keep the kettle ticking over on the woodburner too in the winter- ideal for coffee as its just below boiling point.
bodger

We too have started keeping the kettle on the go on the woodburner. We also the woodburner for cooking casseroles and braising chickens and rabbits.
kaz

That just reminds me to go and put the kettle on the woodburner that is actually lit
debbie

the woodburner makes an excellent slow cooker!
Woodsmoke

I plan on using a traditional kettle on top of our woodburner when it finally gets here. Obviously, it won't be lit all the time, but it seems daft to have the potential to boil your kettle for free & not use it  
debbie

in the winter our woodburner is lit around 6am as its our only form of heating for the whole house so we do use it for cooking etc as much as possible - particularly as our wood is free and just about limitless..just chuffed to have cut down on the electricity bill - The only mains we have.
Woodsmoke

We're the same, Debbie................our open fire is the only form of real heating we have (apart from a couple of oil-filled radiators) We're really looking forward to having the woodburner installed as most of my wood-choping efforts have gone straight up the chimney for the last 5 years. God knows why I'm only just getting around to a woodburner now  

It's probably quite scary how much energy is actually consumed each year by a kettle alone  
Mo

For those yet to get a woodburner, chose your kettle carefully, some don't make contact with the top of the woodburner and take longer to heat up  

We have a kettle sat on the woodburner.

But, for those who don't have a woodburner/stove, consider filling a flask.
Used to do this a lot when I lived overseas and we had the Genny on at limited times. Just flasks of hot water to make tea or coffee.
More recently, after the hip-op, I've gone back to it, making flasks of coffee to keep beside me whilst I was less mobile.
Eschra

Interestingly how many of us live in Smoke Control areas controlled by the Clean Air Act and if so how do people deal with only being allowed to use smokeless fuels.

I know a lot of people use their own wood etc. and was intrigued by this given how many mention using their kettle on the woodburning stove.

Particularly as most of yorkshire is covered by this and even parts of North  are included in this, although I suspect this peters out into the rural environs.
Tigerlily

I have to admit, I am a multi attempt kettle boiler. Then when i do eventually make the brew...quite often leave the mug of tea to go cold. OR Ithis really really annoys himself)  I leave some at the bottom of the mug. A folow through from the days of the tea leaf,, and we couldn;t realy gulp down the last drop then could we. I think we have a little whistling kettle somewhere  . might be in the caravan....this has prompted me to give it a try but it would be on the gas stove as we don't have a soldi fuel any more.  
Jonty

I dread to think what my electric meter is doing when I'm boiling 30 litres of beer in a bucket with 2 kettle elements for a couple of hours
Eschra

Jonty wrote:
I dread to think what my electric meter is doing when I'm boiling 30 litres of beer in a bucket with 2 kettle elements for a couple of hours


OUCH!! The mind boggles...  
Butterbean

Why would you want to boil iced tea?
Jonty

Butterbean wrote:
Why would you want to boil iced tea?


And I'll stick to that story if the ATF come knocking!!
Mo

Eschra wrote:
Interestingly how many of us live in Smoke Control areas controlled by the Clean Air Act and if so how do people deal with only being allowed to use smokeless fuels.

I know a lot of people use their own wood etc. and was intrigued by this given how many mention using their kettle on the woodburning stove.

Particularly as most of yorkshire is covered by this and even parts of North  are included in this, although I suspect this peters out into the rural environs.


From Defra

"Wood, wood chips and wood pellets are not authorised fuels and therefore to burn these fuels in a smoke control area they must be burnt in an exempt appliance which has been demonstrated to be suitable for burning wood. "

There's a list of exempt appliances on the Defra website too.
debbie

Smoke controll orders tend to be around cities.  certainly thre isn't one here.  You don't have to have a woodburder.  this last quarter saved the 300 units by using our eelctric hob..halogen and so much more efficient than the kettle.  My new thing for this quarter to see if it makes a difference - and we won't know till next year really as I compare each bill quarter by quarter year by year - is to turn the oven off at the switch when I have finished using it as the electric fan runs for about 20 minutes after it is turned off otherwise.

I have come to the conclusion (she says tongue in cheek) that if the government want us to save electricity a lot could be done by banning electric kettles....although I think an exception should be made for Jonty's beer brewing heating elements - after all there are limits
Eschra

debbie wrote:
Smoke controll orders tend to be around cities.  certainly thre isn't one here.  You don't have to have a woodburder.  this last quarter saved the 300 units by using our eelctric hob..halogen and so much more efficient than the kettle.  My new thing for this quarter to see if it makes a difference - and we won't know till next year really as I compare each bill quarter by quarter year by year - is to turn the oven off at the switch when I have finished using it as the electric fan runs for about 20 minutes after it is turned off otherwise.

I have come to the conclusion (she says tongue in cheek) that if the government want us to save electricity a lot could be done by banning electric kettles....although I think an exception should be made for Jonty's beer brewing heating elements - after all there are limits


yeah I noticed that while East Devon is a Smoke Control Area neither North or West are etc.
debbie

most people around here are having their oil burning rayburns and argas takn out and replaced with woodburning ones with back boilers.  Like our woodburner being our sole form of heating, with the price of wood, it wouldn't be viable without your own supply.
Jonty

debbie wrote:
I have come to the conclusion (she says tongue in cheek) that if the government want us to save electricity a lot could be done by banning electric kettles....although I think an exception should be made for Jonty's beer brewing heating elements - after all there are limits


Here here!!  Where do I send the bottle to??
debbie

bring it down to exmoor and sampl some of our  west country scrumpy (or my blackcurrant port - very echo friendly - warmed by the woodburnr whilst fermenting ) whilst you are here  

       Over the Gate Forum Index -> Making Ends Meet
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum