Over the Gate Forum Index Over the Gate
Join in for a friendly chat over the gate about home and country matters. (Nominated Charity The British Heart Foundation)
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  {Home Page} Home Page  Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pine Needle Paths

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Over the Gate Forum Index -> Dig in Deep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
Mo



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 3277


Location: Cumbria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Pine Needle Paths  Reply with quote

We had about half a dozen fir trees blown down by Storm Angus last November.

Only one has been chopped up so far and we have a huge pile of fir tree trimmings that will take forever to compost and a fortune to haul to the tip.

So, I started some research. Initially I was looking to see if use them in the chicken runs and, apparently, I can, with the added bonus of it being sweet smelling and a natural disinfectant. I'm mixing it up with straw.

I had put some flatish, supple branches over some muddy patches on the paths and so pondered pathways.

It seems pine needle 'straw' is big business Stateside although they do have some varieties with longer needles than mine.

Anyhow, the upshot is that I'm giving it a go on the paths around the chicken and pig pens and I think I'll try it on my herb garden paths.

Steve thinks I'm nuts but I'm finding it quite theraputic to spend the odd hour stripping pine needles. I have to say I'm not stripping the individual needles but I'm ripping the smaller bendy bits off the thicker twigs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
confused



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 1032


Location: bonny scotland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just you go for it , in my opinion there is no right or wrong way to to something like this , if it works for you great , keep us updated on how it pans out for you ,
_________________
Dont kill it, if you cant eat it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toddy



Joined: 08 Sep 2007
Posts: 829


Location: Lanarkshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It acidifies the soil, but it makes nice paths to walk on I'm told that if you want to grow blaeberries ? blueberries, dig out a shallow trench, line it with the small stuff as you're stripping out, and happ it back up. Next year plant the blueberries and they'll thrive.

I didn't know it was good for the hens too in their litter. I do know someone who got sticky resinous rabbits though  

M
_________________
Contentment is a great wealth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mo



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 3277


Location: Cumbria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

confused wrote:
Just you go for it , in my opinion there is no right or wrong way to to something like this , if it works for you great , keep us updated on how it pans out for you ,


It works ok in pine forests   and it beats muddy paths.

I'll take some piccies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mo



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 3277


Location: Cumbria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddy wrote:
It acidifies the soil, but it makes nice paths to walk on I'm told that if you want to grow blaeberries ? blueberries, dig out a shallow trench, line it with the small stuff as you're stripping out, and happ it back up. Next year plant the blueberries and they'll thrive.

I didn't know it was good for the hens too in their litter. I do know someone who got sticky resinous rabbits though  

M


Aye, I read about the acidity.
I have on blueberry, so might give that a go while I'm at it... and I'm wondering if it works for other soft fruits? Back to Google

I'm not sure it does the hens any good as such, but it doesn't harm and I'm hoping it will compost down quicker in the pen.

I'm a sticky resinous bunny when I'm done., but not as bad as when we were log splitting. It's ruined my 'best' playing out coat although there are those who might think it was past it's best anyway  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Toddy



Joined: 08 Sep 2007
Posts: 829


Location: Lanarkshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good playing out coats are well worth saving

Cellulose thinners will take of at least most, if not all, of the resin…..if it's a wax jacket though it'll strip that too.

M
_________________
Contentment is a great wealth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gareth



Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 6717


Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lifted a gravel path 5 years ago and filled the trench with Leylandii brash that had been through the garden shredder. This I covered with fresh compost off the heap and topsoil. The following year I laid a "stepping stone" slab path down the garden over this brash filled trench with grass and chamomile seeded around the slabs...... it still looks good today: in-fact it could actually doing with mowing....... its all shot up a bit in the last 3-4 days.
_________________
Copyright © All rights reserved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sod
Moderator


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13376


Location: Masterton New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mo said here nothing grows under pine trees, have seen it used in walkways. We will bedoing it after we get the 18 trees we cut down are cut up and cleared away.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mo



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 3277


Location: Cumbria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth wrote:
I lifted a gravel path 5 years ago and filled the trench with Leylandii brash that had been through the garden shredder. This I covered with fresh compost off the heap and topsoil. The following year I laid a "stepping stone" slab path down the garden over this brash filled trench with grass and chamomile seeded around the slabs...... it still looks good today: in-fact it could actually doing with mowing....... its all shot up a bit in the last 3-4 days.


I couldn't use Leylandii - it's poisonous - well, I know it is to sheep. Apparently, and I got this from a old farmer, you can revive sheep who are poorly from Leylandii with a cup of tea  

Interesting though, I shall see if my fir sprouts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mo



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 3277


Location: Cumbria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sod wrote:
As Mo said here nothing grows under pine trees, have seen it used in walkways. We will bedoing it after we get the 18 trees we cut down are cut up and cleared away.


Good to know, thanks!  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mo



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 3277


Location: Cumbria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddy wrote:
Good playing out coats are well worth saving

Cellulose thinners will take of at least most, if not all, of the resin…..if it's a wax jacket though it'll strip that too.

M




Cheers!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Over the Gate Forum Index -> Dig in Deep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All Proceeds to Leukaemia Research.

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum