Over the Gate Forum Index Over the Gate
Join in for a friendly chat over the gate about home and country matters. (Nominated Charity The British Heart Foundation)
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  {Home Page} Home Page  Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My two Large Black gilts.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Over the Gate Forum Index -> On the Smallholding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bodger



Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 32893


Location: Ever so slightly around the bend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: My two Large Black gilts.  Reply with quote

My two Large Black gilts ( gilt is a term for a young female pig that hasn't yet grown to maturity.) to my untrained eye are looking nice but they are stamped quite differently.
There are twenty four female breed lines within the Large Black breed and I have one from the Blackie line and my most recent purchase is from the Diana line. I like both of the girls but I can't be sure which of them is the best specimen of the breed? They're like chalk and cheese.

If it ever stops piddling down here, I'll trek off across the fields and see if I can get some half decent pictures of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toddy



Joined: 08 Sep 2007
Posts: 829


Location: Lanarkshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is though, does not the fact that they are recognisably the same breed but different from each other, not bode well for the genetic diversity of them?

It's like Jamie and his friend, both out in Japan, and someone asked them which one was most representative of the Scots. The lads looked at each other and laughed, and both replied, "We both are".
One's over six foot tall, blue eyed, redheaded and freckled. The other is about 5'9", nearly black haired, dark brown eyed, fair skinned and freckled.
Both look like 'typical' Scots, iimmc, but you'd never mistake them for brothers. Good genetic diversity within the breed sort of thing

Kennel club standards for dogs have created some appallingly unhealthy travesties. I don't think it'd be a good idea for pigs either.
Yes/no ?

With all this rain and mud, how can you see the colour anyway ?

M
_________________
Contentment is a great wealth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bodger



Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 32893


Location: Ever so slightly around the bend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than never. First of all, here's Connie.



















And now Molly.



















Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
horace



Joined: 22 Jul 2009
Posts: 4213


Location: yorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won,t tell the difference when they have been rolling in the mud
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hughesy



Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 1071


Location: Anglesey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the thinking in Toddy's post. Our Saddleback sows are all different. Visibly and more subtly in their behaviour and personalities. None of them are "perfect" as far as a breeder who shows pigs would see it. I'm more interested in their performance as piglet producers than their rating against an arbitrary standard of excellence from a showing point of view. I get the showing thing if that's what floats your boat but I agree that kind of breeding does nothing for the health and genetic diversity within a breed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chicken feed



Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 1767


Location: cambs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hughesy wrote:
I like the thinking in Toddy's post. Our Saddleback sows are all different. Visibly and more subtly in their behaviour and personalities. None of them are "perfect" as far as a breeder who shows pigs would see it. I'm more interested in their performance as piglet producers than their rating against an arbitrary standard of excellence from a showing point of view. I get the showing thing if that's what floats your boat but I agree that kind of breeding does nothing for the health and genetic diversity within a breed.


Even if your showing the sows & boars have to be piglet producers sows have to farrow twice each year and boars have to have x amount of offspring to his name as he matures. Details of farrowings are displayed along with pedigrees at all shows. All our show sows have to keep producing the goods we don't keep gilts that produce less than 7 and sows have to keep in double figures or they are on the cull wagon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
confused



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 1014


Location: bonny scotland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken feed wrote:
hughesy wrote:
I like the thinking in Toddy's post. Our Saddleback sows are all different. Visibly and more subtly in their behaviour and personalities. None of them are "perfect" as far as a breeder who shows pigs would see it. I'm more interested in their performance as piglet producers than their rating against an arbitrary standard of excellence from a showing point of view. I get the showing thing if that's what floats your boat but I agree that kind of breeding does nothing for the health and genetic diversity within a breed.


Even if your showing the sows & boars have to be piglet producers sows have to farrow twice each year and boars have to have x amount of offspring to his name as he matures. Details of farrowings are displayed along with pedigrees at all shows. All our show sows have to keep producing the goods we don't keep gilts that produce less than 7 and sows have to keep in double figures or they are on the cull wagon.

I like the thought  that you are firm in your views about only breeding from good producers , I used to listen to my old mates telling me about after the war when a lot of ex forces came home and went into smallholdings , but just bred from any stock available , and the results were nothing short of disaster.
_________________
Dont kill it, if you cant eat it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chicken feed



Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 1767


Location: cambs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confused wrote:
chicken feed wrote:
hughesy wrote:
I like the thinking in Toddy's post. Our Saddleback sows are all different. Visibly and more subtly in their behaviour and personalities. None of them are "perfect" as far as a breeder who shows pigs would see it. I'm more interested in their performance as piglet producers than their rating against an arbitrary standard of excellence from a showing point of view. I get the showing thing if that's what floats your boat but I agree that kind of breeding does nothing for the health and genetic diversity within a breed.


Even if your showing the sows & boars have to be piglet producers sows have to farrow twice each year and boars have to have x amount of offspring to his name as he matures. Details of farrowings are displayed along with pedigrees at all shows. All our show sows have to keep producing the goods we don't keep gilts that produce less than 7 and sows have to

keep in double figures or they are on the cull wagon.

I like the thought  that you are firm in your views about only breeding from good producers , I used to listen to my old mates telling me about after the war when a lot of ex forces came home and went into smallholdings , but just bred from any stock available , and the results were nothing short of disaster.


I personally feel if you have a passion for pedigree breeding you are duty bound to be hard at times to keep the breed standard if you breed from low producers and poor breed specimens your not doing justice to the breed. We have people asking for us to register anything just so they can have a pedigree but it would not do the breed or my reputation any favours so a flat no is my reply. Another thing buyers will do is buy a meat weaner keep it and six months down the line ask for me to register it as a breeder again a flat no is the reply, I can't stop them going on to breed from them but I can stop them getting papers for animals I don't see as good enough to enter the herd book.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Over the Gate Forum Index -> On the Smallholding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All Proceeds to Leukaemia Research.

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum